Indiana, the Hoosier State, is a treasure trove of diverse experiences waiting to be explored. From scenic natural wonders to rich historical sites, mouthwatering culinary delights to cultural hotspots, Indiana offers a multitude of adventures that can enrich your life and create lasting memories.
In this comprehensive guide, I’ve compiled a bucket list of “100 Things to Do in Indiana Before You Die.” Whether you’re an Indiana native looking to rediscover your state or a traveler seeking hidden gems, this list will take you on a journey through the heartland of America, showcasing the beauty, culture, and endless possibilities that Indiana has to offer.
So, prepare to be captivated by the enchanting landscapes, the vibrant arts scene, the rich history, and the warm-hearted people that make Indiana a remarkable place to explore.
Let’s embark on this adventure and discover the top 100 things that should be on your Indiana to-do list, inviting you to savor the essence of the Hoosier State one experience at a time.
Things to Do in Indiana Before You Die
Explore Nature and Outdoors
- Visit Indiana Dunes National Park.
- Explore Turkey Run State Park’s rugged trails.
- Go camping in Brown County State Park.
- Take a scenic drive along the Ohio River Scenic Byway.
- Kayak or canoe in Chain O’ Lakes State Park.
- Hike through Hoosier National Forest.
- Witness the beauty of Clifty Falls State Park.
- Go fishing in Lake Michigan.
- Birdwatching at Patoka Lake.
- Experience the caves at Marengo Cave.
- Bike along the Monon Trail.
- Horseback riding in the rolling hills of southern Indiana.
- Attend the Indy 500 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
- Explore the Indiana Dunes State Park.
- Take a boat tour of the Indiana Dunes.
- Go ziplining at eXplore Brown County.
- Stroll through the Indianapolis Zoo and White River Gardens.
- Visit the Amish communities in Shipshewana.
- Witness the Sandhill Crane migration at Jasper-Pulaski Fish and Wildlife Area.
- Go rock climbing at The Cliffs at Hoosier Heights.
- Visit McCormick’s Creek State Park.
Discover History and Culture
- Take a tour of the historic West Baden Springs Hotel.
- Explore the Indiana State Museum.
- Visit Conner Prairie Interactive History Park.
- Tour the Indiana Statehouse.
- Learn about Native American history at Angel Mounds State Historic Site.
- Experience the Indianapolis Children’s Museum.
- Explore the historic district of New Harmony.
- Visit the Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art.
- Discover the history of the Studebaker National Museum.
- Explore the Indianapolis Museum of Art.
- Take a tour of the President Benjamin Harrison Home.
- Visit the Kurt Vonnegut Museum and Library.
- Explore the Indiana Medical History Museum.
- Experience the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Automobile Museum.
- Discover the history of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum.
- Attend the Indiana State Fair.
- Take a stroll through historic Madison.
- Visit the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame.
- Explore the historic town of Vevay.
- Attend the Covered Bridge Festival in Parke County.
- Tour the James Whitcomb Riley Museum Home.
- Discover the architecture of Columbus, Indiana.
- Visit the Grissom Air Museum.
- Explore the historic town of Corydon, Indiana’s first state capital.
- Discover the history of the Tuskegee Airmen at the Freeman Field Exhibition.
Enjoy Food and Drink
- Attend the Indy Wine and Brew Fest.
- Try the famous breaded pork tenderloin sandwich.
- Savor Indiana’s craft beer scene.
- Taste local wines along the Indiana Uplands Wine Trail.
- Enjoy a meal at St. Elmo Steak House.
- Try Hoosier-style fried chicken.
- Visit the Indianapolis City Market.
- Sample artisanal cheeses at Tulip Tree Creamery.
- Explore the food scene in Broad Ripple Village.
- Attend the Indiana State Fair for unique food offerings.
- Dine at the historic Zaharakos Ice Cream Parlor.
- Taste homemade sugar cream pie.
- Enjoy a farm-to-table dining experience.
Sports and Entertainment
- Cheer on the Indiana Pacers at a basketball game.
- Attend an Indianapolis Colts NFL game.
- Watch a minor league baseball game with the Indianapolis Indians.
- Catch a concert at Ruoff Home Mortgage Music Center.
- Attend a race at Lucas Oil Raceway.
- Experience a performance at the Indiana Repertory Theatre.
- Watch a performance by the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra.
- Attend a college basketball game in Indiana.
- Enjoy a night of comedy at Morty’s Comedy Joint.
- Explore the nightclubs and bars in Broad Ripple Village.
- Attend a horse race at Indiana Grand Racing & Casino.
- Explore the Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo.
- Visit Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari.
- Take a ride on the Indiana Beach Amusement Park roller coasters.
- Discover the Indianapolis Children’s Museum.
- Go on a family adventure at the Indianapolis Zoo.
- Visit Muncie Children’s Museum.
- Attend a family-friendly event at the Indiana State Fair.
- Explore the Indianapolis Museum of Art’s Family Art Studio.
- Go horseback riding at a family-friendly ranch.
- Take a family trip to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum.
Arts and Entertainment
- Explore the Indiana Repertory Theatre.
- Attend the Heartland Film Festival.
- Discover local artists at the Harrison Center for the Arts.
- Attend the Indianapolis International Film Festival.
- Enjoy live music at the Chatterbox Jazz Club.
- Explore the Indiana State Museum’s art exhibits.
- Attend a performance at Beef & Boards Dinner Theatre.
- Experience a concert at The Vogue Theatre.
- Attend the Indiana Comic Con.
- Discover local artists at the Stutz Artists Association Open House.
Shopping and Markets
- Explore the Carmel Arts and Design District.
- Shop for antiques in Nashville, Indiana.
- Visit the Indianapolis City Market.
- Shop for unique gifts at Homespun: Modern Handmade.
- Browse local boutiques in downtown Indianapolis.
- Attend the Shipshewana Flea Market.
- Explore the Fountain Square Arts District.
- Visit specialty shops in Bloomington, Indiana.
- Shop for handmade crafts at the Broad Ripple Farmers Market.