Los Angeles, the entertainment capital of the world, is often celebrated for its glitz, glamour, and star-studded avenues.
Yet, beyond the red carpets and Hollywood Walk of Fame lies a city brimming with eccentricities and hidden curiosities that beckon the adventurous and the unconventional.
For those willing to venture off the beaten path, Los Angeles reveals a world of weird and wonderful experiences that defy expectations and redefine what it means to explore a city.
In this article, I invite you to peel back the layers of LA’s eccentric soul and delve into the unconventional side of this sprawling metropolis. While LA boasts its share of iconic landmarks and celebrity sightings, it’s also a place where the unusual thrives, where peculiarities are celebrated, and where the ordinary becomes extraordinary.
From museums that blur the lines between reality and fantasy to neighborhoods that defy the norm, Los Angeles embraces the weird, the wacky, and the whimsical with open arms.
Whether you’re an intrepid traveler seeking the bizarre or a local looking to uncover the city’s hidden oddities, this guide will take you on a journey through the quirky and unconventional side of LA.
So, get ready to set aside the conventional travel guide and embark on a whimsical adventure through the weird and wonderful world of Los Angeles. In a city that embraces the extraordinary, you’re sure to find a new perspective and appreciation for the bizarre and the offbeat.
Welcome to Los Angeles, where weirdness is not only accepted but celebrated!
Weird Things to Do in Los Angeles
- Visit the Museum of Jurassic Technology: Explore a museum filled with strange and fictional exhibits that blur the line between reality and imagination.
- Wander the Venice Beach Canals: Stroll through the charming canals of Venice Beach, a quirky neighborhood reminiscent of its Italian namesake.
- Hike to the Wisdom Tree: Hike to the lone pine tree atop Cahuenga Peak, where visitors leave notes and mementos with their wishes and wisdom.
- See the Urban Light Installation: Visit the LACMA and take photos at the famous Urban Light installation featuring 202 restored street lamps.
- Check Out the Museum of Death: For those with a morbid curiosity, this museum offers a unique look at death-related artifacts and exhibits.
- Experience the Bunny Museum: Visit the Bunny Museum in Pasadena, a house filled with thousands of rabbit-related items.
- Take a Picture at the Watts Towers: Admire the impressive Watts Towers, a collection of 17 interconnected sculptures built by Simon Rodia.
- See the La Brea Tar Pits: Witness the ongoing excavation of prehistoric fossils trapped in tar at the La Brea Tar Pits and Museum.
- Visit the Museum of Broken Relationships: Explore an exhibition of objects and stories from past relationships at this unusual museum.
- See the Big Donut Drive-In: Snap a photo in front of the giant Randy’s Donuts sign, an iconic Los Angeles landmark.
- Explore the Old LA Zoo: Hike to the abandoned cages and enclosures of the old Los Angeles Zoo in Griffith Park.
- Attend the Pasadena Doo Dah Parade: Enjoy the quirkiness of this unconventional and irreverent parade that takes place annually in Pasadena.
- Dine at the Magic Castle: Enjoy a magical dinner at the private club known as the Magic Castle, where magicians perform tableside.
- Visit the Museum of Neon Art: Explore a collection of neon signs and artwork celebrating the art of neon lighting.
- Take a Tour of the Bradbury Building: Step inside this historic building known for its stunning ironwork and architecture.
- Go to the Museum of Selfies: Explore the Museum of Selfies in Glendale, dedicated to the art and history of taking self-portraits.
- Drive the Pacific Coast Highway in a VW Bus: Rent a vintage VW bus and cruise along the iconic Pacific Coast Highway.
- See the Griffith Observatory’s Tesla Coil: Watch as the Griffith Observatory’s Tesla Coil shoots bolts of electricity.
- Explore the Last Bookstore: Wander through a labyrinth of books and art installations at the Last Bookstore in downtown LA.
- Experience the Hollywood Forever Cemetery Movie Screenings: Watch classic films under the stars at Hollywood Forever Cemetery.
- Visit the Bunny Hole in Highland Park: Step into a surreal and artistic space filled with bunnies in Highland Park.
- Discover the Velveteria: Explore a museum dedicated to velvet paintings featuring pop culture icons.
- Take the Time Travel Mart Tour: Experience the whimsical Time Travel Mart and embark on a humorous guided tour.
- Attend the Pasadena Cheeseburger Week: Celebrate the cheeseburger with a week of special events and tastings.
- See the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels: Visit the modern and architecturally intriguing cathedral in downtown LA.
- Explore the Museum of Ice Cream: Dive into a playful and interactive experience at the Museum of Ice Cream.
- Visit the International Banana Museum: Discover a museum entirely dedicated to bananas in Mecca, California.
- Check Out the El Matador Beach Sea Caves: Explore sea caves and rock formations at El Matador Beach in Malibu.
- Experience the Soap Plant Wacko Store: Shop for unusual and eccentric items at the Soap Plant Wacko store.
- Visit the Los Angeles Pet Memorial Park: Pay your respects at a cemetery dedicated to pets, complete with statues and memorials.
- See the Music Box Steps: Visit the famous stairway featured in the Laurel and Hardy film “The Music Box.”
- Explore the Mosaic Tile House: Step into a colorful and intricately decorated mosaic-covered house in Venice.
- Attend the Corgi Beach Day: Witness a gathering of adorable corgis at a dog-friendly beach in Long Beach.
- Visit the Museum of Jurassic Marine Life: Explore a museum dedicated to marine life that existed over 150 million years ago.
- Experience the California Institute of Abnormalarts: Attend an event at this unique venue known for its eclectic and unusual performances.
- Take a Bike Ride through the Venice Art Walls: Cycle along the Venice Beach boardwalk and view ever-changing street art.
- Explore the Sunken City Ruins: Hike to the remains of a landslide that destroyed part of San Pedro, creating a surreal urban ruin.
- Visit the Hollywood Wax Museum: Take photos with lifelike wax figures of celebrities at this Hollywood attraction.
- See the Bunny Museum’s Guinness World Records: Explore the Bunny Museum’s collection of Guinness World Records related to rabbits.
- Take a Tour of the Studio Ghibli Museum: Experience the enchanting world of Studio Ghibli through a guided tour.
- Visit the Travel Town Museum: Explore a collection of vintage trains and railway artifacts at Griffith Park’s Travel Town Museum.
- See the Velaslavasay Panorama: Step into a 360-degree painted landscape at the Velaslavasay Panorama.
- Take a Walk Through the Lost Sunken City: Discover the remnants of the Sunken City in San Pedro, a neighborhood that slid into the ocean in 1929.
- Visit the Batcave from the 1960s Batman TV Series: Explore Bronson Canyon, known as the Batcave from the classic TV series.
- Attend the Great Horror Campout: Experience a unique interactive horror camping event filled with scares and surprises.
- See the Giant Binoculars Sculpture: View the giant binoculars sculpture designed by Claes Oldenburg and Coosje van Bruggen.
- Explore the Zombie Fashion Show: Attend the Zombie Fashion Show and learn how to transform into the undead in style.
- Take a Yoga Class on a Helipad: Practice yoga on a downtown LA helipad for a unique and serene experience.
- Visit the Bunny Museum’s Wall of Bunnies: Admire the Bunny Museum’s impressive wall covered in bunny-related art.
- Explore the Museum of Neon Drinking Straw Art: Discover a quirky collection of art created using neon drinking straws at this offbeat museum.